Great increase in interest for becoming an engineer
At the University of Gävle, the number of first choice applicants for the study programmes in engineering has increased by 32%.
“Our region really needs its engineers, and for this reason this increasing interest in these programmes is very welcome indeed,” says Magnus Lemoine, project leader at the University of Gävle.
The University and the business sector have together carried out a number of activities in many places in the region. More than 40 companies have, for instance, given information about the engineering professions and the demand for such skills in the future.
“The fact that the companies come and meet young people creates a greater interest. We need to make more people interested at an early stage, as only 20% of the pupils in upper secondary schools are qualified for an engineering programme.”
“The Hunt for Technicians,” a project where the University carries our different activities, has as its aim to make more young pupils choose science and technology. Study visits are arranged, and also summer jobs and engineering evenings. Schools may also apply for funding for equipment to enable them to increase the quality in their teaching.
“We believe that it important to make teenagers interested at an early age and, for this reason, we direct our energy even at compulsory schools,” Magnus Lemoine says.
The University’s study programmes in engineering
The University offers a wide spectrum of eight different specialisations in engineering at the university level. All are developed in close connection with the business sector.
- Study Programme in Automation Engineering 180 hp
- Study Programme in Building Engineering 180 hp
- Study Programme in Computer Engineering 180 hp
- Study Programme in Industrial Engineering and Management 180 hp
- Study Programme in Business Administration 180 hp
- Study Programme in Electrical Engineering 180 hp
- Study Programme in Energy Systems Engineering, Co-op 180 hp
- Environmental Engineer, Specialization in Water and Wastewater Engineering (Co-op) 180 hp
For more information, please contact:
Magnus Lemoine, project leader for “The Hunt for Technicians,” University of Gävle
Tel: 026-64 89 02, 073-070 89 02
Text: Douglas Öhrbom