Get started with your studies!
To be able to use the university web services, register for your courses, take out library books and more, you need to first go through our "Five steps to get started".
Introduction Day for all our international students Autumn 2023
About the programme
Programme introduction and registration
There will be a programme introduction on Friday 25 August at 13.30 pm. The programme introduction will be a good opportunity to meet and greet some of the faculty members involved in the programme courses and ask questions about the programme.
All new students are welcome to join and we look forward to meeting you.
Date: 25 August, 2023
Time: 13.30 pm
You can also follow the programme introduction via Zoom.
Link to zoom: https://hig-se.zoom.us/j/67745434120
The first period of the programme starts on Monday 28 August.
Programme information from your programme director
The program is a educational program that offers the possibility to obtain a Master of Science in Energy Systems 60 credits from University in Gävle. A strong emphasis is placed on dealing with energy engineering tasks with due consideration of technical, environmental and socioeconomic issues. Advanced optimization and simulation as well as measurement techniques are applied to identify, describe, quantify and find solutions to a diverse range of energy engineering problems. The major provide proficiency in project design and implementation, operation and maintenance, as well as in crucial phases of policy generation.
This study major has a total duration of nine months taught courses (60 credits) including a thesis project work (15 credits). The programme is open to applicants from all over the world. The programme language is English.
In preparation for your first courses
Below you will find welcome letters for the first course(s) that you will take as part of your programme. You will find information about course registration, links to the course syllabus and reading list, timetable and more in your course welcome letter. Welcome letters for courses are published at the latest four weeks before the course start date.
Ask a Student
- There are a lot of things that students know more about than teachers and administrative staff - how it feels to be a student at the University of Gävle for example.
- Student Bill Blomster can answer your questions about what it is like to be an student in Sweden and at the University of Gävle.
- Bill is available for questions weekdays 24 July–8 September.
Information from the Gefle Student Union
If you are a new student who has just arrived to Gävle, you are not alone. Finding meeting places and new friends is often where the fun begins. The Gefle Student Union work in conjunction with student organisations to improve courses, student social environments and many of the entertaining aspects available to you during your study period. To become involved in the Gefle Student Union is therefore a great opportunity to take part in and be able to influence student life and at the same time get to know students studying other subjects.
Don’t hesitate to send an e-mail to the Gefle Student Union and make sure to follow their social media accounts.
Service and Support
You need to apply for accommodation yourself. Please remember to do it in good time before your arrival. The University of Gävle does not provide any student accommodation.
Free Microsoft Office
As a student at the University of Gävle you have the opportunity to install
Microsoft Office on up to five computers. The Office package includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and Onenote.
The library is located in the middle of campus and is open to everybody. You can reach all digital resources such as e-books and e-journals after logging in with your user account.
- Residence permit
- If you are a non-EU citizen you need to apply for a residence permit. Start the process of applying for a residence permit as soon as possible. This can be a slow process and take several months. It is therefore good to get started as soon as possible!
At the Student Centre you will meet knowledgeable staff that can assist you in just about anything regarding your studies at the University of Gävle. The Student Centre is located in building 22. You will also find a café in this area and TV displays showing current information and the daily timetabling. If you have any study-related questions, you can contact the Student Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sometimes you need help to manage your studies and student life. At the University of Gävle we have several support functions to help you deal with various study-related situations, such as, for example, study guidance counselling, student health and welfare, and support for disabled students.
- If you have any questions about tuition fees, please find more information in our FAQ.
Web meetings with Zoom
- Zoom are a services for web meetings at the University of Gävle. You usually need a webcam and headset with a microphone.
- Web meetings with Zoom
Wireless network (wifi)
Eduroam (EDUcation ROAMing) gives you access to the Internet when you are staying on the University campus. It also provides internet access at other universities and colleges that are connected to eduroam. Eduroam also works at many airports, railway stations and hotels.