Go to eugreenalliance

Approved leave from Studies

Approved leave from studies is a break in your study programme, for a fixed period, granted by the university. You retain your place on the programme and have guaranteed admission the semester following the end of your approved leave, providing the University of Gävle still offers the course/s in that study programme. If you terminate your studies without notifying the university you are considered to have made a non-completion.

Regarding approved leave from studies

According to the Higher Education Ordinance (Cha 7 Sect. 33), a higher education institution may decide that students admitted to first- or second-cycle studies are allowed to continue their studies after an approved leave of studies, if there are particular reasons for it.

It is clarified in UHRFS 2013:3 (Sect. 3-5) and UHRFS 2016:1 (Sect. 3-4) that the student needs to apply for leave of studies and that specific grounds can be social, medical or other specific factors, e.g. care of children, conscription, military service or missions for the student union.

UHRFS 2016:1 (only in Swedish)

If you terminate your studies without notifying the university you are considered to have made a non-completion.

When can you apply for approved leave from studies?

University of Gävle can grant approved leave from studies:

  • for study programme students only
  • if you have started on your study programme by registering to the first course/s
  • Approved leave of studies can be granted for one semester, or a maximum of two semester in a row.

You should contact the study advisers if you are unsure whether you should apply for approved leave of studies or not, but if you have further questions regarding approved leave from studies then contact studentsupport@hig.se.

Please note that if you are a tuition fee paying student with a residence permit for studies and take a study leave your residence permit will be withdrawn.

Application for Approved Leave from Studies

You apply for approved leave from studies by completing the web form “Application for approve leave from studies”. It is important that you have a plan for when you are to resume your studies. You need to make sure that you follow the study plan for your programme and that the courses you need to take are offered the semester you plan to return. You also need to make sure that you fulfil the admissions requirements for the courses you apply to the semester you are returning.

Please contact your faculty programme director if you need help with planning your studies within your programme.

The decision of your application will be sent to you as soon as a decision has been made.

Application form for approved leave from studies


Information if you receive student finance/loan from CSN

You can finish not completed course components, within your programme, during your approved leave from studies. Contact studentsupport@hig.se in that case.

You cannot register, or re-register, on any courses, within your study programme, during your approved leave of studies.

Resuming Your Studies

It is solely your responsibility to apply, to the programme courses, for the semester you are to resume your studies. Application is to be done via www.antagning.se and the application deadline is 15th April for the autumn semester and 15th October for the spring semester.

Information about applying for your programme courses

If you have a previous registration on a course, but only have completed some of the credits, you need to send in an application for re-registration.

Application form - application for re-registration Pdf, 47 kB. (English version will be available soon)

You risk losing your study place if you do not resume your studies on the date stated on your approved leave from studies decision.

Published by: Liselotte Laurila Page responsible: Maria Strand Updated: 2022-04-21
Högskolan i Gävle
Box 801 76 GÄVLE
026-64 85 00 (växel)