Tuition Fees

Students who are citizens of countries outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland are required to pay a tuition fee for studies in Sweden. Here you can find information about the fee and see if the fee applies to you.  

Tuition fees for programmes starting in the Autumn semester 2022

Programmes taught in English

One-Year Master's Programmes

Semester 1

Total Fee

Business Administration, Accounting 60 cr

55 000

110 000

Business Administration (MBA): Business Management, 60 HE credits

55 000

110 000

Electronics/Automation Online 60 cr

66 000

132 000

Energy Systems 60 cr

66 000

132 000

Energy Engineering Online 60 cr

66 000

132 000

Geomatics 60 hp

66 000

132 000

Management of Logistics and Innovation 60 cr

66 000

132 000

Two-Year Master's Programmes

Semester 1

Total Fee

Electronics/Automation 120 cr

66 000

264 000

Energy Systems (online) 120 cr

64 000

256 000

Geospatial Information Science 120 cr

66 000

264 000

Religious Studies 120 cr

44 000

176 000

Sustainability Science – Environment and Decision Making 120 hp

58 000

232 000

Three-Year Bachelor's Programme

Semester 1

Total Fee

Social Work - Specialization International
Social Work 180 cr

50 000

300 000

Tuition fees for programmes starting in the Spring semester 2022

Programme taught in English

One-Year Master's Programme

Semester 1

Total Fee

Business Administration, Accounting 60 cr

55 000

110 000

The prices mentioned above are in Swedish Kronor (SEK).
Currency converter.

A normal workload is 30 Higher Education (HE) credits per semester/60 HE credits per academic year.

Does the fee apply to you?

In general, individuals who are citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay application and tuition fees. There are some exceptions to this general rule. 

You do not have to pay tuition fees if:

  • You have a Swedish citizenship,
  • You have been granted a permanent Swedish residency permit,
  • You have been granted a temporary Swedish residency permit for reasons other than studies. (Having a temporary residency permit for studies in Sweden does NOT grant you exemption from fee payments),
  • You have a citizenship in a European Union (EU) country, European Economic Area (EEA) country, or Switzerland,
  • You are a family member of a citizen of an EU or EEA country, or Switzerland, and have the right to temporary or permanent residency in Sweden,
  • You have long-term resident status in Sweden,
  • You have long-term resident status in another country in the European Union and have Swedish residency,
  • You are applying for or are registered for Third cycle (doctoral) studies. Application and tuition fees are only required for studies at the First cycle (Bachelor) and Second cycle (Masters) level,
  • You are registered at a university or university college outside of Sweden and will be studying in Sweden on a temporary basis as part of an official study abroad programme as an exchange student.

For more information please visit

Application and application fee

If you want to study in Sweden you apply through Students who are citizens of countries outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland are required to pay an application fee when applying for education in Sweden. In general, the same rules for paying the tuition fee apply to paying the application fee. You are, however, exempt from paying these fees if you are currently registered at a Swedish university. The application fee is 900 SEK (Swedish kronor).

Find out if you need to pay fees

Payment of fees for prospective students

Tuition fees will be charged per semester. A full-time study load at University of Gävle is 30 credits per semester. Please note, if you intend to take more than 30 credits you will be required to pay additional tuition. The fee is based on price per credit and thus varies depending courses and programmes.

You will receive the first invoice when the notification of selection results has been published on The invoice will be sent via email, so please check your contact information at and make sure they are correct. The payment must be received by University of Gävle by the date stated on the invoice.

You must pay the tuition fee by the deadlines set by University of Gävle. The fee for coming semesters must be paid one semester at a time. If you fail to pay the tuition fee you will be put on academic suspension. If you participate in exchange programmes via University of Gävle you are liable to pay full tuition fee to University of Gävle for your studies abroad.

Payment of the tuition fee can only be made by bank transfer. Please note that it can take up to a week to receive a confirmation of payment. The confirmation of payment will be sent to your email.

If you have received an invoice but wish to decline the offer of admission please decline your offer on

Go to

Payment method

Paying by bank transfer

Please follow these steps to make the payment

  • Inform your bank that you wish to transfer the sum stated on the invoice. University of Gävle's bank account details can be found at the bottom of the invoice.
  • Inform your bank that the payment must be received by University of Gävle by the due date given on the invoice.
  • It is important that the invoice number is included in the payment. This is your personal reference number and without it we cannot match the payment with your student record.
  • Please note that we receive the funds in SEK, and that you are responsible for paying all fees associated with this transfer. University of Gävle only accepts small differences due to rate changes.

Paying with your Swedish bank account by Plusgiro or Bankgiro

Students with a bank account in Sweden can pay the tuition fee using the same method as when paying other bills. Please indicate your invoice number when paying via Plusgiro/Bankgiro.

Reimbursement of tuition fees

Reimbursement of tuition fees paid to University of Gävle may be effected in the following cases.

  • Residence permit rejection. If a student is not granted a residence permit in Sweden the admissions process will be cancelled, and the student may be reimbursed, excluding banking fees and an administrative fee of SEK 6000.
  • Cancellation of programme. If the tuition fee has been paid and University of Gävle decides to cancel an education and no alternative is available, the entire tuition fee is reimbursed. University of Gävle is responsible for the reimbursement.
  • Conditional admission. A student whose admissions to a master programme was conditional because at the time of application the student had not yet received a degree certificate from the first level. If the student does not meet the degree requirements before the beginning of the semester and therefore can not start the programme, the student may be reimbursed, excluding banking fees and an administrative fee of SEK 6000.
  • Unqualified for upcoming semester. If the programme syllabus and course syllabus contains eligibility requirements for continuing/ transition to the next semester and the student does not meet the admission requirements, the tuition fee may be reimbursed, excluding banking fees and an administrative fee of SEK 6000.
  • Cancellation of study place due to specific reasons. If the student has paid the tuition fee but is unable to start the studies due to specific reasons such as illness or other, the tuition fee may be reimbursed, excluding banking fees and an administrative fee of SEK 6000.

To apply for reimbursement of tuition students must submit a written statement together with supporting documents. Send your application to e-mail with title "Reimbursement". In the email you must state full name, date of birth, programme admitted to, reason for reimbursement and supporting documents. Decisions regarding reimbursement will be made by the Head of Division of Educational Support and the Head of Division of Finance and Procurement. The reimbursement process normally takes around one month.

Change of payment status

If a student's residency status changes (e.g. they have been granted European citizenship or changed the type of residence permit) they must submit documents to University of Gävle that certifies the change. A change in status does not affect the tuition fee for the semester that has already commenced, i.e. no reimbursements are possible.

For matters regarding reimbursement or change of residency status, please send an email to

Tuition fee coverage

The tuition fee covers the course or programme that the student has been admitted to and paid for. For students studying a Bachelor's or a Master's programme, the fee normally covers 30 credits per semester. For students studying individual courses, the tuition fee covers the number of credits in the the course. The tuition fee also covers related academic administration and support services.

Clarification regarding full-time studies and contact hours

Each course or programme is measured in credits, using the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS). 30 credits are equal to the workload of a full-time student over one semester. Full-time studies in Sweden correspond approximately to a 40-hour week, though students might only have a few hours of lectures or seminars each week. Teaching may take other forms, such as seminars, group work, laboratory work and independent study time. The number of contact hours on a course will largely depend on the subject and the design of a particular course.

Legal background

According to the Regulation on application and tuition fees at universitys and colleges (SFS 2010:543 and 2011:303), citizens from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland, also referred to as third-country students, shall in certain cases pay a fee for their higher education.

University-level decisions regarding tuition fees:

Student services and support

Fee-paying students are subject to the same services, rights an obligations as non-fee-paying students, such as study counselling, student health services, special pedagogical support, access to library and university facilities.

Average cost of living

Like everywhere, living costs in Sweden depend on your personal lifestyle and where you live. At Study in Sweden you can read more about living expenses:

Average cost of living

Student Rights

All enrolled students at Swedish universities have many rights as well as responsibilities, which may affect their educational experience. The rights of students are regulated in a number of national acts as well as in universities international regulations.

The Higher Education Act

The Higher Education Ordinance

The Work Environment Act

The Discrimination Act

Regulations at the university level:

Quality assurance and student influence

Swedish universities and the Swedish Higher Education Authority (UKÄ) have a shared responsibility for quality assurance in higher education. Most quality assurance efforts are to be conducted by the universities and all universities are required to have systematic quality assurance processes.

When students are taking part in or have finished a course they will be given an opportunity to describe their experience and express their opinions in a course evaluation. The universities are required to arrange course evaluations and summarise their results and they also have to inform students about these results and any measures that may be adopted because of them. Students can also influence their studies through representation in their university's decision making and planning bodies.

Published by: Lina Kickert Page responsible: Veronica Liljeroth Updated: 2021-10-20
Högskolan i Gävle
Box 801 76 GÄVLE
026-64 85 00 (växel)