The library's search guide contains information on how and where to search for articles, books and other publications for your assignment or thesis. You are guided through the four steps of information retrieval: how to plan your search, how to conduct it, how to find material and, finally, how to evaluate your search results.
Databases and articles
- Instruction films
Metasearch - search several databases at the same time
Discovery is our Search Portal where you can search in many resources at once instead of searching individual databases.You can search for articles, e-books and our printed books in Discovery. Use Discovery if you do not know what database you should search in.
Google Scholar is Google's search engine specialized in scholarly web resources and articles.
- Academic Search Premier
Articles covering many subject areas.
Scholarly research findings in psychology and related fields.
- SAGE journals online
Articles in full text. About 50 journals in sociology, social work and social policy.
Comprehensive citation information and statistics. An alternative to Web of Science. Better coverage in social sciences.
Articles in full text from journals in sociology and social work.
Academic publications at Swedish universities. Search among scholarly articles, conference papers and dissertations etc..
- Web of Science
Articles in full text covering many subject areas. Citation information available.
- Wiley Online Library
Articles in full text. Journals in sociology, social policy and welfare.
- More databases at the University of Gävle
Books and e-books
- LIBRIS is the Swedish national library catalogue where you search for books and dissertations from Swedish University Libraries.
- If the library does not have the books or articles you might need, it is possible to borrow it from another library.
More information about interlibrary loans
- E-books, or electronic books, are digital books you can read on e-book readers, computers, mobile phones, or tablets. You don't need a Library Card to read our e-books but you need a User account.
- To the Library's webpage about e-books
Dissertations and Student theses
- The Writing Centre will help you to improve your writing skills concerning the academic writing process.
To the Writing Centre webpage
Published by: Elisabeth Jansson Page responsible: Jenny Ericsson Updated: 2023-02-01