Licensed Medical Doctor; Professor of Public Health Sciences and Epidemiology, Associate Professor in Public Health Sciences (MIUN); Associate Professor in Social Medicine (KI).
- Food Security and Health Equity (FSH Project)/2018-2024. The project is part of five year SIDA program and aims to study the relationship between food insecurity and chronic diseases; the role of food choice on health outcomes, climate change impact on food security and policy in food security and health. Partners: Eduardo Mondlane University, Uppsala University, Chalmers, University of Lund and Mid-Sweden University (Sweden); University of Stellenbosch (South Africa), Nova Medical School (Portugal) and University of Warwick (UK).
- CSR, Responsible leadership and sustainable human resources management for stakeholders health and well-being in low-middle and high income countries (CSR-RLESH Project)/2018-2024. The project aims to investigate the impact of CSR strategies, Responsible Leadership and SHRM on internal and external stakeholders health promotion in developed and developing countries. Partners: Mid-Sweden University, University of Malta, Stockholm University, Eduardo Mondlane University.
- Social Entrepreneurship and Sustainable Health Promotion (SESHP)/2018-2024). The project examines the role of social enterprises in health promotion in a context of sustainable development. Partners: Glasgow Caledonian University.
- Structural/Interpersonal Violence and Disparities in Health Outcomes (SIV-DipHE)-2021-2024. The project main objective is to understand how structural violence contribute to disparities in health outcomes. Also, the project will attempt to investigate syndemics of violence, structural violence and inter-personal violence impact inequalities in health and wellbeing. Partners: University of Porto, UEM.
- Social and Environmental Sustainability and Health Equity (SESUHE)-2022-2025. The project is aimed to study how social and environmental sustainability and climate change impact on health inequities (especially urban health inequities) in low-, middle- and high-income countries using mixed methods. Also, the spatial distribution of commons in urban environments and their influence on health will be studied. Partners: Eduardo Mondlane University, and Loughborough University, University of Porto.
EU-ABUEL (2008-2010); EU-PROMO (2008-2010); EU-Dove (2009-2013); ChildSA (2012-2015); GHOLDH (2012-2017); CAHI (2014-2019), Erasmus+ REVAMP (2019-2020).
READ MORE ABOUT
Short Curriculum Vitae
I graduated in Medicine from Eduardo Mondlane University, Maputo-Mozambique (1992). Thereafter, I was awarded a Master in Public Health Sciences with emphasis in Demography at Karolinska Institutet (1999) and a PhD in Epidemiology from Karolinska Institute (2004). Currently I am a Professor of Public Health Sciences and Epidemiology and the research leader of the “Social Epidemiology, Population Health and Violence” (SEPHV) research group/network.
Poverty and health in different contexts- social inequalities in child mortality in Mozambique and 19th Century Stockholm . Karolinska Institute/CHESS.
Current Position (s)
2014 - Professor of Public Health Sciences, University of Gävle, Sweden
2013 - Professor of Public Health Sciences, Mid-Sweden University, Sweden
2011 - Associate Professor of Social Medicine, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institute, Sweden
2011 - Associate Professor of Public Health, Department of Health Sciences Mid-Sweden University, Sweden
2015 - af. Professor of Epidemiology, Epidemiology Unit-ISPUP, University of Porto Medical School.
Previous Position (s)
2012-2013 - Senior Lecturer in Public Health Epidemiology, Department of Health Sciences, Mid Sweden University, Sweden
2010-2014 - Senior Lecturer in Public Health Sciences, Department of Occupational and Public Health Sciences, University of Gävle, Sweden
2011 - Guest Researcher, Department of Psychology Mid-Sweden University, Sweden
2007-2010 - Epidemiologist, Division of Social Medicine, Department of Public Health Sciences; Karolinska Institutet, (Research Group Health and Safety Promotion; sub Section Violence and Determinants of Health)
2005-2007 - Epidemiologist, Division of Social Medicine, Department of Public Health Sciences; Karolinska Institutet, (Research Group Health Equity and Policy Analysis)
1998 to date - Associate Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Eduardo Mondlane University, Faculty of Medicine, Mozambique
1992-1996 - Clinical Director, Malhangalene Health Centre, Ministry of Health, Maputo, Mozambique
1992 - Senior lecturer Public Health and Epidemiology, Department of Community Health, Eduardo Mondlane University, Maputo, Mozambique
Activities in Peer Review Journals
Member of the editorial board (s)/current
- BMC Global Health Research and Policy
- Acta Medica Leopodiersia
- Guest Editor Frontiers in Public Health (Health services management and leadership-COVID-Style)
- Guest Editor Sustainability (CSR and stakeholders health and well-being)
Supervision of PhD Students
Completed: Ismail Yahaya, Bahareh Eslami, Diego Arturo Sarastri, Anne-Sofie Hiswåls, Ann-Kristin Eriksson, A.Eugenio .Z; DD.A; Hesamedin Abassi, Afroza Begun.
Current PhD students
- Elias Militao, MSc Biotechnology. Thesis title: Food Insecurity and Health in Mozambican Households: Does Socioeconomic Position Matter? (Registered at Mid-Sweden University).
- Elena Ahmadi, MSc Economics: Thesis title: Leadership Behaviour, Working Environment and Health in Award-winning Companies – a Manager and Subordinate Perspective (Registered at the University of Gävle).
- Janete Mabuie, MSc Nutrition: Thesis title: Analysis of the National Breastfeeding Program in Mozambique (the role of traditional medicine/Food security/nutrition) (Registered at UEM).