Research subject: Public Health Science
Telephone: +46 26 64 82 28
Licensed Medical Doctor; Professor of Public Health Sciences and Epidemiology, Associate Professor in Public Health Sciences (MIUN); Associate Professor in Social Medicine (KI).
- Food Security and Health Equity (FSH Project)/2018-2024. The project is part of five year SIDA program and aims to study the relationship between food insecurity and chronic diseases; the role of food choice on health outcomes, climate change impact on food security and policy in food security and health. Partners: Eduardo Mondlane University, Uppsala University, Chalmers, University of Lund and Mid-Sweden University (Sweden); University of Stellenbosch (South Africa), Nova Medical School (Portugal) and University of Warwick (UK).
- CSR, Responsible leadership and sustainable human resources management for stakeholders health and well-being in low-middle and high income countries (CSR-RLESH Project)/2018-2024. The project aims to investigate the impact of CSR strategies, Responsible Leadership and SHRM on internal and external stakeholders health promotion in developed and developing countries. Partners: Mid-Sweden University, University of Malta, Stockholm University, Eduardo Mondlane University.
- Social Entrepreneurship and Sustainable Health Promotion (SESHP)/2018-2024). The project examines the role of social enterprises in health promotion in a context of sustainable development. Partners: Glasgow Caledonian University.
- Structural/Interpersonal Violence and Disparities in Health Outcomes (SIV-DipHE)-2021-2024. The project main objective is to understand how structural violence contribute to disparities in health outcomes. Also, the project will attempt to investigate syndemics of violence, structural violence and inter-personal violence impact inequalities in health and wellbeing. Partners: University of Porto, UEM.
- Social and Environmental Sustainability and Health Equity (SESUHE)-2022-2025. The project is aimed to study how social and environmental sustainability and climate change impact on health inequities (especially urban health inequities) in low-, middle- and high-income countries using mixed methods. Also, the spatial distribution of commons in urban environments and their influence on health will be studied. Partners: Eduardo Mondlane University, and Loughborough University, University of Porto.
EU-ABUEL (2008-2010); EU-PROMO (2008-2010); EU-Dove (2009-2013); ChildSA (2012-2015); GHOLDH (2012-2017); CAHI (2014-2019), Erasmus+ REVAMP (2019-2020).
READ MORE ABOUT
My main research interests are “Social determinants of Population Health" and “Population Dynamics and Health". Social determinants of health are the economic and social conditions -- and their distribution among the population -- that influence individual and group differences in health status. They are risk factors found in one's living and working conditions (e.g. the distribution of education, income, wealth, influence, power). The distribution of social determinants is shaped by public policies that reflect the influence of prevailing political ideologies of those governing a jurisdiction.
In my research, I explore these determinants throughout the life-span: childhood, adolescence, adulthood, and later life.
For more details regarding ongoing research projects and collaborating partners, see description of the SEPHV Research Group. Pdf, 215 kB.
Book/reports of EU projects which colleagues and I participated in as coordinators:
EU-ABUEL Pdf, 385 kB.
Work Package Partners, EU-PROMO Pdf, 462 kB.
The projects dealt with abuse and neglect among elderly people in 7 EU countries as well as Best Practices of Mental Health Care among 6 marginalised groups in 14 EU countries.
- GHOLDH (Gävle Household and labour Dynamics and Health Outcomes (2010-2014)
- EXUN (Experiences of Unemployment and Health in Sweden and Portugal) (2013-2015)
- ESPHE (Experiences of Employment Precariousness and Psychological Health (2015-2016)
- Labour Market and Occupational Health Inequalities (GHOLDH; EXUN, ESPHE)
Completed: B. Eslami (MIUN/2013), Ismail Yahaya (MIUN/2015), D. A. Sarastri (UA/2015), A. Kristin Eriksson (MIUN/2016); Ann-Sofie Hiswåls (MIUN/2017); S. Hesamedin Abassi (MIUN/2018), A. E. Zac. (KI/ 2012), DA (KI/ 2010).
Current: - Elias Militao, MSc Biotechnology. Thesis title: Food Insecurity Among Mozambican Workers: A social Epidemiologic Approach (MIUN)
- Afroza Begum, M Public Health. Thesis title: Suicide Ideation among Adolescents in Rural Bangladesh (MIUN)
- Elena Ahmadi, MSc Economics: Thesis title: Leadership Behaviour, Working Environment and Health in Award-winning Companies – a Manager and Subordinate Perspective (HiG).