Health Insurance

Information about Health Insurance in Sweden.

Health Insurance

Health Insurance for Nordic, EU/EEA Citizens and Switzerland
If you are a citizen of any of the Nordic, EU/EEA countries or Switzerland, you have access to essential health care if you register beforehand at a social insurance office in your home country and obtain a European Health Insurance card.

Insurance Conditions for non EU/EEA Citizens, Exchange Students
Students admitted within an exchange agreement at the University of Gävle are covered by a collective health insurance, Student IN, financed by the university. The terms for the insurance are available on the website of Kammarkollegiet (The Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency),

Health Insurance for non-EU/EEA Citizens: Stays of One Year or More
As a visiting student, if you have a residence permit valid for one year or more, you are entitled to the same health benefits as Swedes. However, you are obligated to national registration at our local tax office in Gävle as soon as you arrive. Here you will be given a temporary Swedish civic registration number. Detailed information is available on Tax office´s website,
It is however advisable to arrange for liability insurance from the home country.

Health Insurance for non-EU/EEA Citizens: Stays of Less Than One Year
If you have a residence permit valid for a period of less than a year, you are not able to register at a the local Tax office, and you do not have automatic access to health care. Students accepted to programmes lasting for less than one year are required to have a valid health insurance from their home country.

Published by: Bojana Simsic Page responsible: Veronica Liljeroth Updated: 2017-11-23
Högskolan i Gävle
Box 801 76 GÄVLE
026-64 85 00 (växel)