Taking an Exam Off-campus

Some distance education courses require students to take proctored exams. A proctored exam is taken off-campus and is supervised, just as it would be for a course taken on campus.

  1. Contact the university/study centre/embassy where you wish to take your exam to confirm that they can accommodate you. An off-campus exam shall be on the same date and in the same time as it is given in Gävle.

  2. Apply for an exam off-campus via our web form below. The application must be submitted no later than three weeks before the exam date. Late applications will not be processed.

  3. Your application will be answered within 10 business days. If you have not received confirmation one week before the exam date contact studentcentrum@hig.se. Each faculty decides to grant or refuse an application for exam off-campus.

Rules and Requirements for Off-campus Exams

Who can apply to take an exam off-campus?

Distance students can apply to take their exam off-campus. Although other reasons to take the exam off-campus may exist, such as military service or other compelling reasons. Off-campus means any other location than the campus area of the University of Gävle, such as other universities or study centres in Sweden or Swedish embassies/consulates abroad.

Who arranges a place where I can take my exam?

It is your responsibility to make the arrangements with the university, study centre, Swedish embassy or consulate where you wishes to take the exam. You are also responsible for checking that the examination paper is available on the actual exam day.

What places are approved for off-campus exams?

Approved places are universities and study centers. The University of Gävle exam rules and regulations apply. Swedish embassy or consulate may be allowed if the security is considered adequate. An invigilator must be present in the room throughout the examination.

Can I write my exam on another day/time than given in Gävle?

No, the exam off-campus must be on the same date and in the same time as it is given in Gävle.

The university where I wish to take the exam charge administrative fees - who pays?

You will be responsible for any costs incurred in connection with the exam off-campus.

Should I register for the exam through KronoX?

If you intend to write your exam off-campus, you should not register for the exam in the Student Portal/through KronoX. Sign up through KronoX is only required for exams taken on campus in Gävle.

Related Information

Instructions to students taking an exam off-campus (see page 2 for English)

Published by: Lisa Olsson Page responsible: Veronica Liljeroth Updated: 2016-12-06
Högskolan i Gävle
Box 801 76 GÄVLE
026-64 85 00 (växel)