Period for course registration in Ladok: 2–15 October.
|Course and application code|
|Study period and pace|
This course is a full-time course given between weeks 42-02
|Syllabus and reading list|
|Questions about registration and admission|
My name is Susanne Greés and I will be the course coordinator for this term and also your instructor for the first module of English didactics. I can be contacted on Susanne.email@example.com. The course will run for two terms with a total of 30 credits, with 20 credits in the autumn term.
The structure for the autumn term is as follows:
- 0010 English Didactics 6 cr, weeks 41–44
- 0020 Placement for Teaching Practice 10 cr, weeks 45–50
- 0030 Language Structure with a Didactic Focus 4 cr, weeks 51–02
There will be one day of on campus teaching for the didactics module in week 41 on 11/10, 9–15 with more information on Canvas prior to this day. The seminars for the English Didactics module will be on Tuesdays, 10–12.
Teaching occurs to a large extent in seminars where plenty of opportunities for interaction in English are provided. All teaching is in English and aims to encourage discussion and reflection concerning the role and function of English as well as aspects of its application as an educational subject for compulsory education, years 7–9 or upper-secondary education.
To participate fully in our courses it is important that you prepare for the seminars by reading the instructed parts of the course literature. This is obligatory and vital in order to be able to participate in discussing particular models and issues brought up in the literature, rather than discussing topics in general. Therefore it is important that you get hold of the literature well in time for the relevant sessions.
Literature for the first course
Following is a list of the course literature that you will need. For the first module, English didactics, you will need Lightbown & Spada, Lundahl, Oshima & Hogue and Skolverkets publications, see list below:
- Estling Vannestål, M. (Senaste utgåva). A university grammar of English: with a Swedish perspective. Lund: Studentlitteratur.
- Lightbown, P. M. & Spada N. (Senaste utgåva). How Languages Are Learned. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Lundahl, B. (Senaste utgåva). Engelsk språkdidaktik: texter, kommunikation, språkutveckling. Lund: Studentlitteratur.
- Oshima, A. & Hogue, A. (Senaste utgåva). Longman Academic Writing Series 4: Essays. White Plaines, NY: Pearson.
- Skolverket (Senaste version). Kommentarmaterial.
- Skolverket (Senaste version). Läroplaner och kursplaner i ämnet engelska.
You will be automatically registered on Canvas when you register for the course. This is our main channel for communication and where you will find material about our course such as the timetable, instructions, assignments, etc. This is also where the different instructors will post general announcements concerning the course and the individual sessions. Therefore, check the course Canvas page regularly. If you need support with any technical issues concerning Canvas, contact the support service through firstname.lastname@example.org
Since our course is digitally based it means that we will not meet physically, except the on campus seminars on 11/10. Instead we will meet in our virtual classroom via Zoom. For us all to be able to benefit from a good quality of reception it is recommended that you use broadband and not a wireless connection. It is also important that you use a good headset with a microphone instead of the microphone on the computer only. A good camera is also essential for communicative purposes. Please note that you are expected to use your microphone and camera throughout the course since several of the course modules include seminars where you are to participate in discussions. Unfortunately Ipads and Iphones do not work sufficiently for this activity.
The links to the Zoom-rooms will be posted on Canvas. You click on the link and follow the instructions to the classroom. Participation in these sessions via Zoom is an essential part of the course. Even though we do not meet physically you shall think of it as equivalent to classroom teaching which means that an active contribution is beneficial for everyone.
Cheating and plagiarizing are serious academic offences, which result in failing the module in question and being reported to the college’s disciplinary commission. To learn about plagiarism and get basic information on how to avoid it, please read the disclaimer posted on Canvas carefully before the beginning of the course; print it, sign it, make a copy/take a picture, and upload it to Canvas.
Look forward to meeting with you all in October!
The course is given by the Faculty of Education and Business Studies.
Registration for exams, including re-takes, is mandatory. You can register for exams via Ladok. You need to register at least ten days before the exam date. If you didn't register in time, you can not take your exam. No exceptions are made from this rule, we do not accept registrations when the deadline is passed.
If you are a distance study student and want to take your exam off-campus, you need to apply to do so at least three weeks prior to the exam date.
Service and Support
You need to apply for accommodation yourself. Please remember to do it in good time before your arrival. The University of Gävle does not provide any student accommodation.
Free Microsoft Office
As a student at the University of Gävle you have the opportunity to install Microsoft Office on up to five computers. The Office package includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and Onenote.
The library is located in the middle of campus and is open to everybody. You can reach all digital resources such as e-books and e-journals after logging in with your user account.
- Residence permit
- If you are a non-EU citizen you need to apply for a residence permit. Start the process of applying for a residence permit as soon as possible. This can be a slow process and take several months. It is therefore good to get started as soon as possible!
At the Student Centre you will meet knowledgeable staff that can assist you in just about anything regarding your studies at the University of Gävle. The Student Centre is located in building 22. You will also find a café in this area and TV displays showing current information and the daily timetabling. If you have any study-related questions, you can contact the Student Centre at email@example.com
- Sometimes you need help to manage your studies and student life. At the University of Gävle we have several support functions to help you deal with various study-related situations, such as, for example, study guidance counselling, student health and welfare, and support for disabled students.
- If you have any questions about tuition fees, please find more information in our FAQ.
Web meetings with Zoom
- Zoom are a services for web meetings at the University of Gävle. You usually need a webcam and headset with a microphone.
- Web meetings with Zoom
Wireless network (wifi)
Eduroam (EDUcation ROAMing) gives you access to the Internet when you are staying on the University campus. It also provides internet access at other universities and colleges that are connected to eduroam. Eduroam also works at many airports, railway stations and hotels.