Period for course registration in Ladok: 15 August – 28 August.
|Course and application code|
|Study period and pace|
This course is a half-time course given between weeks 35-44
|Questions about registration and admission|
This is a half-time course with a weight of 7.5 ECTS points (European Credit Transfer System). The course runs between week 35 (29 August) and week 44 (6 November), 2021.
The aim of this course is to provide students with theoretical knowledge of leadership, from a gender perspective. The main goal of the course is to give students the possibility to understand why gender issues are important for organisations, leadership, the individual, and society. Whether you work in Sweden, or in the international context, understanding the role of gender in business and critically discuss is of importance.
Upon completion of the course students shall:
Knowledge and understanding
• Demonstrate knowledge on Theories and key concepts of leadership and leadership in a gender perspective
• Demonstrate specialised knowledge in analysing the role of leadership and gender in organisations and the society
• Critically analyse and examine organisations and the role of gender in a historical and contemporary times perspective
• Demonstrate methodological knowledge and be exposed to current research in the field of leadership and gender.
Competence and skills
• Autonomously identify and formulate problems assessing the importance of gender issues in managing business
• Demonstrate the ability to integrate knowledge and analyse, assess and deal with complex issues even with limited information.
• Demonstrate skills required to participate in research in the field of leadership and gender.
• Demonstrate the ability in critical thinking, independent work, teamwork, research and oral and written communication skills with different audiences.
Judgement and approach
• Demonstrate the ability to make assessments in the field of leadership and gender and its role in the society.
• Demonstrate awareness of ethical aspects of research work and its role for business and society.
• Demonstrate the ability to identify personal needs for further knowledge and take responsibility for the own learning.
You will automatically be enrolled on the course in Canvas, our learning management system, once you have registered for your course in Ladok. Please note that it can take up to 60 minutes for the systems to synchronise but after that you will be able to see your course in Canvas.
Most contact, assignments, submissions, and results will be announced on Canvas. Our Canvas course page will open on week 32 (8 August 2022). Check the course schedule often as there may be changes in the planning from time to time.
Lecture and discussion will be done through the Zoom application. It is expected that students know how to use Zoom, have a good Internet connection, and are in place conducive to performing learning activities (i.e., quiet place, no disturbance, use headphones).
• Alvesson, M. & Due Billing, Y.D. (latest edition). Understanding Gender and Organizations . London: Sage. pages: ca 230 s.
• Kanter, R.M. (latest edition). Men and Women of the Corporation. New York: Basic Books. pages: ca 390 s.
• Scientific articles, about 300 pages.
Most welcome, see forward to cooperating with you!
Dr. Michelle Rydback
The course is given by the Faculty of Education and Business Studies.
Registration for exams, including re-takes, is mandatory. You can register for exams via Ladok. You need to register at least ten days before the exam date. If you didn't register in time, you can not take your exam. No exceptions are made from this rule, we do not accept registrations when the deadline is passed.
If you are a distance study student and want to take your exam off-campus, you need to apply to do so at least three weeks prior to the exam date.
You need to apply for accommodation yourself. Please remember to do it in good time before your arrival. The University of Gävle does not provide any student accommodation.
As a student at the University of Gävle you have the opportunity to install Microsoft Office on up to five computers. The Office package includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and Onenote.
The library is located in the middle of campus and is open to everybody. You can reach all digital resources such as e-books and e-journals after logging in with your user account.
At the Student Centre you will meet knowledgeable staff that can assist you in just about anything regarding your studies at the University of Gävle. The Student Centre is located in building 22. You will also find a café in this area and TV displays showing current information and the daily timetabling. If you have any study-related questions, you can contact the Student Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org
Eduroam (EDUcation ROAMing) gives you access to the Internet when you are staying on the University campus. It also provides internet access at other universities and colleges that are connected to eduroam. Eduroam also works at many airports, railway stations and hotels.