|Name of course|
Existential dimensions of health /
Hälsans existentiella dimensioner
|Application co||23201 Master|
Faculty of Education and Business Studies
In order to register on your course, you first need to create a user account. Read more about how to activate your user account in our guide, "Five steps to get started".
If you do not register on time, you will lose your place on the course. Please contact your course administrator before the end of the registration period if you are experiencing problems with course registration.
If you are conditionally admitted you are not able to register on the course yourself.
Period for course registration: 4 - 17 January
Welcome to the course The Existential Dimensions of Health! The course is a so called literature course.
The web-based course tool used is Canvas. More information will be posted on Canvas at least a week before the Course start.
January 20th 10.15-12.00 Course introduction and call for registration
March 24th 10.15-12.00 Oral presentations of Assignments
This course is based on self-studies. The course is given on a full-time basis.
The examination is a combination of written and oral assignments.
If you can not attend the Course introduction, please contact me in advance. Ann-Kristin "Mimmi" Eriksson e-mail adress: firstname.lastname@example.org
The course literature in the syllabus is in Swedish. Since the course is given in English, the following literature is to be used.
· Antonovsky, Aaron (1987). Unraveling the mystery of health: how people manage stress and stay well. 1. ed. San Francisco, Calif.: Jossey-Bass
· Frankl, Viktor E. (1987). Man's search for meaning: an introduction to logotherapy. Rev. and enlarged ed London: Hodder and Stoughton
· Aho, Kevin (2014). Existentialism: an introduction. Cambridge: Polity. Pages 193
· Aho, James A. (ed.) (2018). Existential medicine: essays on health and illness. London: Rowman & Littlefield International. Pages 269
· Jackson, Michael & Piette, Albert (eds.) (2017). What is existential anthropology? New York: Berghahn Books. Pages: 248
· Hägglund, Martin (2019). This life: why mortality makes us free. London: Profile Books. Pages 464
· Noonan, Jeff (2018). Embodiment and the meaning of life. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press. Pages 263
· Harkness, Charlotte (2019) The Nature of Existence : Health, WellBeing and the Natural World. Red Globe Press. Pages: 156
We use the communication tool Canvas, and our meetings will be held via Zoom https://hig-se.zoom.us/
A course link for our Zoom-meetings will be announced on our Canvas course site.
After your course has finished you will be sent a we-based course evaluation questionnaire via e-mail. Your participation in the course evaluation is very valuable to us and you comments will help improve and develop the course further. All students registered on the course will receive a report of the course evaluation with all comments compiled.
You need to apply for accommodation yourself. Please remember to do it in good time before your arrival. The University of Gävle does not provide any student accommodation.
As a student at the University of Gävle you have the opportunity to install
Microsoft Office on up to five computers. The Office package includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and Onenote.
The library is located in the middle of campus and is open to everybody. You can reach all digital resources such as e-books and e-journals after logging in with your user account.
At the Student Centre you will meet knowledgeable staff that can assist you in just about anything regarding your studies at the University of Gävle. The Student Centre is located in building 22. You will also find a café in this area and TV displays showing current information and the daily timetabling. If you have any study-related questions, you can contact the Student Centre at email@example.com
Eduroam (EDUcation ROAMing) gives you access to the Internet when you are staying on the University campus. It also provides internet access at other universities and colleges that are connected to eduroam. Eduroam also works at many airports, railway stations and hotels.